Because people come to Harvest from a variety of backgrounds, we want to acquaint you with our biblical understanding of believer's baptism. A pastoral staff member will be glad to talk further with you about this "step of obedience" in the Christian life.
Why Should You Be Baptized?
- To follow the example set by Jesus Himself - Mark 1:9
"At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan river."
- To follow the command of Christ - Matthew 28:19-20
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey every thing I have commanded you."
- To demonstrate obedience as a believer - 1 John 2:3
We know that we have come to know Him if we obey His commands."
What is the Meaning of Baptism?
- It illustrates the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ -- Colossians - 2:12
"Having been buried with Him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, Who raised Him from the death."
- It illustrates the new life of a Christian - Romans 6:4
"We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we to may live a new life."
- It is an outward sign of the commitment you have made in your heart - Ephesians 2:8-9
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the fit of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."
Why be Baptized by Immersion?
- Jesus was baptized by immersion - Matthew 3:16
"As son as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water."
- Others in the Bible were baptized by immersion - Acts 8:36-39a
"As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, 'Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized.' And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. when they came up out of the water..."
- The word "baptize" means "to place under the water"
- This method best symbolized a burial and resurrection (Romans 6:1-11)
- Quotes from Church History:
Martin Luther - "I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed, as the Word imports."
John Calvin - "The word 'baptize' signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the early church."
John Wesley - "Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church."
If you are interested in being baptized, please fill out and submit the form below: